Due to their everyday use, bathrooms are often candidates for small or large overhauls. They are constantly exposed to humidity and condensation, harbouring mould and bacteria, not to mention all the rituals that we do that just add to the overall wear and tear. Is yours in need of redecoration? If you are struggling with the planning process, here are some bathroom renovation ideas that will get the ball rolling.
16 Bathroom Renovation Ideas
The first thing you want to do is review your finances. The budget you can allocate to this project will dictate the scale of the job, not the other way around. Having no more than $1,000-$2,000 on hand means you should stick with light changes like repainting, replacing a fixture, or embedding a new sink. But if you can afford to go higher, then the extent of your makeover will grow proportionately.
Luckily, we are here to offer ideas for both cases, so regardless of whether you are making cosmetic changes or an overall redo, hopefully, you will find inspiration from our post.
Tips for the parsimonious buyer:
- If your budget is small, skip tiling or just make it a point to buy less of it. You can place tiles around the shower area or cover the walls halfway up instead of all the way through. Paint the rest of the space to give it a finished look. This will certainly cut expenditure.
- Redecorate your outdated cabinets using paints and primers that are impervious to mould and mildew. To create a unified look, make sure the colour matches accent items in the room like trays, mats, soap dishes, etc. Don’t forget to perk up the inside either. To maximise storage space, opt for pull-out shelves, dividers, and anything that will enhance cabinet efficiency.
- Another quick and frugal way of refreshing the cabinets is to replace the hardware. Just swap the old handles, knobs, and pulls for fun ones and make sure their alignment fits that of the holes in the cupboards, otherwise, it will be nothing but a wasteful spend.
- Mount a handheld sprayer in your shower area to add convenience and function to your bathroom. It will make rinsing stuff and cleaning the place a lot easier and more hassle-free.
- Have your existing bathtub refinished. This will not only breathe new life to it but also freshen up the whole room.
- Replace your toilet seat with a new one. Stick with a white material since they cost less than those that come in a certain colour. To make it more vivid and fun, dress it up with a toilet cover to your liking.
- Use inexpensive wall scones to update the lighting.
- If you are going for new counters, here is a tip. The most expensive are the ones that come in light beige, brown, tan, and other neutral colours since they are more popular. If you want to find a good bargain, look for items that are darker.
- Buy stuff with imperfections as long as you don’t mind them, of course. The price gets lower when the flaws are more visible. This means that you might be able to get your hands on a lovely piece of expensive fixture without breaking the bank.
Tips for the big spender:
- If you are willing to drop more bucks on the design of your bathroom, consider assembling benches in the shower for a luxurious touch and comfort. Feel free to choose a material that will contrast with the rest of the fixtures or, if you don’t want to emphasise on that area that much, you can use a tiled bench so it blends well with the overall design of the bathroom.
- Feel like splurging? Switch to a massive chandelier and it will make a huge difference right way. If you are tired of seeing the same old overhead fixtures, it’s time for a change.
- Install a quality cabinet with a mirror on it that rotates and tilts in all directions. This way shaving, grooming, and application of makeup will be a breeze. Also, refinish all other cabinet doors if you don’t want to put in the effort to replace them.
- An entertainment centre will be a great feature for your bathroom that everyone will enjoy. Think a multi-point sound system or a small water-resistant television (preferably one that comes in low voltage). And if you are feeling extra generous, compliment the area with a fireplace. It is a handy tool for not only heating but also adding a romantic touch to any place.
- Arrange for a custom tile rug to be included in the décor - it can be assembled underneath the tub or above the vanity. It could turn into a great artistic centrepiece. If you want to draw attention to a certain part of the room, then this is a smart way to do it. Just make sure that you go with a distinctive pattern and some nice colours.
- An onyx stone wall will definitely give the room a distinctive look and feel. Other materials that will make your bathroom captivating are black or white marble.
- If you are bold enough, you can transform your bathroom by turning everything black, from the countertops to the toilet seat. This type of designs will make the space look exquisite, luxurious, and high-end. However, keep in mind that although it will be pleasing to the eye, it’s not very practical. Black will show powder and dust. Besides, quite possibly you will not be able to use harsh chemicals on the surfaces when doing your regular cleaning. Not to mention, you will have to wipe down the walls and sink after each use to prevent build-up of white film and hard water stains.
All in all, there are a host of ways to upgrade your bathroom, depending on whether you want to make small changes or perform an entire overhaul. At the end of the day, it is your budget that will determine how much you can alter.